PRIMERA ABOGADA AWARD
The “Primera Abogada” Award, given by the Commission on Latinas in the Profession, recognizes and honors trailblazing Latina lawyers for their unique and lifetime contributions to the legal profession. Every year the Commission bestows the award to a Latina lawyer who: has been a trailblazer, achieved great distinction by opening up opportunities historically closed to Latinas, and has been a licensed attorney for 25 years or more. Retired attorneys are eligible for nomination. The award will be presented at the 2023 HNBA/VIA Annual Convention.
Nomination Deadline Extended: July 14, 2023
Questions? Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Latina has practiced law for a minimum of twenty-five (25) years; and
- The Latina: (i) is a pioneer in her field; (ii) has achieved professional excellence in her field; or (iii) has a demonstrable record of contributing to or assisting members of her community; and (at least one of the following):
- The Latina has influenced other Latinas to pursue legal careers.
- The Latina has opened doors for Latina lawyers in a variety of job settings historically closed to them.
- The Latina has advanced opportunities for Latinas within a practice area or segment of the profession.
- The Latina has made significant contributions to the legal profession.
- The Latina has made significant contributions to the Latino community as a direct result of her legal work.
*NOTE: The nominee is not required to be an active member of the HNBA or be actively practicing law. Retired attorneys are eligible for nomination.
Nomination Form: Complete and submit the online nomination form.
Nominee’s Resume: Include the nominee’s resume or biography, describing her background and contributions.
Description of how Nominee meets eligibility criteria: In no more than two typed, double-spaced pages, in 12-pt font, please provide concrete examples of how the nominee meets the criteria detailed above.
Articles/Letters: Up to 10 news or magazine articles written by or about the candidate and no more than five letters of support from individuals or organizations may be submitted in support of a nominee.
The nomination online form and your supporting materials constitute the sole basis for the nomination. Materials will not be returned.
The limitation on letters of support will be observed. If more than five letters are submitted, Commission staff will determine which letters will be included with the final nomination packet under consideration by Commission members.
Nominations can be submitted online at: https://hnba.com/hnba-latina-commission-2023-primera-abogada-award/
Articles are to be uploaded with your online nomination form at the time of submission.
Current Commission members or liaisons are not eligible for the Award for the duration of their terms and for three years following service.