LATINA LEADERSHIP PROGRAMS2022 Primera Abogada Award
PRIMERA ABOGADA AWARD
The “Primera Abogada” Award, given by the Commission on Latinas in the Profession, recognizes and honors trailblazing Latina lawyers for their unique and lifetime contributions to the legal profession. Every year the Commission bestows the award to a Latina lawyer who: has been a trailblazer, achieved great distinction by opening up opportunities historically closed to Latinas, and has been a licensed attorney for 25 years or more. Retired attorneys are eligible for nomination. The award will be presented at the 2022 HNBA/VIA Annual Convention.
Nomination Deadline: July 29, 2022
Questions? Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR PRIMERA ABOGADA NOMINEE
- The Primera Abogada Nominee has practiced law for a minimum of twenty five (25) years.
- The Primera Abogada Nominee:
- is a pioneer in her field;
- has achieved professional excellence in her field; or
- has a demonstrable record of contributing to or assisting members of her community, including at least one of the following:
- The Primera Abogada Nominee has influenced other Latinas to pursue legal careers.
- The Primera Abogada Nominee has opened doors for Latina lawyers in a variety of job settings historically closed to them.
- The Primera Abogada Nominee has advanced opportunities for Latinas within a practice area or segment of the profession.
- The Primera Abogada Nominee has made significant contributions to the legal profession.
- The Primera Abogada Nominee has made significant contributions to the Latino community as a direct result of her legal work.
- The Primera Abogada Nominee is not required to be an active member of the HNBA or be actively practicing law. Retired attorneys are eligible for nomination.
- Current Latina Commission members or liaisons are not eligible for the Award for the duration of their terms and for three years following service.
SUBMISSION INFORMATION AND MATERIALS REQUIRED
- The following documents and submission forms must be fully completed and timely submitted online:
- Primera Abogada Nomination Form.
- Primera Abogada Nominee’s Resume to include a full biography, describing the nominee’s background and contributions.
- A description of Primera Abogada Nominee’s eligibility criteria.
- Description must include specific examples of how the nominee meets the criteria detailed above.
- Description may not exceed two typed pages and must be double-spaced in 12-pt font.
- The following documents are optional for submission:
- Letters of Support or Recommendation: No more than five letters of support from individuals or organizations may be submitted in support of a nominee. If more than five letters are submitted, the Commission staff will determine which letters will be included with the final nomination packet to be considered by Commission members.
- Articles: No more than 10 news or magazine articles written by or about the candidate may be submitted in support of a nominee.
- The nomination online form and supporting materials constitute the sole basis for the nomination. Materials will not be returned.
Nominations and supporting documentation can be submitted by July 29, 2022 online at: